Working With Dak
I have limited openings for new clients right now, but if you are looking for an advisor take a look at what I believe about investing, who I work with and how I work with them. If you think I might be a fit for you after that, feel free to get in touch with me. You can reach me through the contact page on this site, or by calling my office at 888.407.4472. We’ll have a zero pressure initial interview to see if I can add value to your life.
I don’t like excessive risk. Most of the people I work with don’t either. I built Process Portfolios around the idea of reasonable risk for reasonable return. If you are chasing the market highs year in and year out, I’m not a fit for you.
* Most of my clients believe it’s better to have an investment plan that focuses on reasonable returns for reasonable risk and works to prevent permanent capital impairment (read that as big losses) rather than chasing the market to generate the highest possible return.
* They mostly think of their investments as a business they own – they are more interested in the health of the business and whether it is moving in the right direction than the price they can get by selling it today.
* They understand that the market experiences periods of pronounced volatility which can be unpredictable. This does not affect their investment plan or their behavior. Some of that is their innate nature, some of that is because we have a plan to deal with the next bear market, when it comes. And it will.
* They are generally successful people who place great importance on their family, enjoy being part of their community, and have a commitment to life outside of their career. They like to have fun and get a lot of enjoyment out of being alive.
* They value their own time — therefore they understand the value of hiring experts for tasks outside their core competency. They focus on the two or three things they do really well that got them where they are, and when they leave the office it’s about their family or doing the other things in their lives they consider important. They don’t want to take time away from their careers and passions to deal with things that don’t truly interest them. This is the sanest approach possible, and the most effective. Life is short, and shouldn’t be wasted on things you are not deeply interested in.
I communicate with clients primarily by email, but am available by phone appointment, and in person. I have clients in several states and I’ve found most of them prefer email as their primary means of communicating with me, and prefer FaceTime or web conferencing to an office meeting. It’s more convenient and we can review the same documents or investment matters that we could do face to face. It allows me to maintain my focus on the investments and the research that supports them.
Clients have 24/7 access to their accounts through the custodian and they also receive hard copy quarterly statements from the custodian. I provide an annual review to make sure everyone is still on the same page, to make sure circumstances haven’t changed and that the investment plan and asset mix continues to be relevant for each client’s current and future needs.
My firm does not custody client assets–we only use independent custodians. That means we don’t have access to your account except for directing how the money is invested, and we don’t get paid for transactions, only results. My custodian of choice is Interactive Brokers because they have great execution, very low cost (which means more money stays in your pocket), and are rated the most financially secure of the major brokers (including Bank of America, JP Morgan, etc..) We have the ability to work with other custodians like Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade, and others depending on your circumstances.
My firm and I also do Retirement Income Planning and Financial Planning. I charge a low, flat fee of $699 for planning services in most situations. I offer a satisfaction guarantee — if you aren’t happy with the plan, you don’t pay. Pretty simple.
When it comes to managing investments, I’m a fee only advisor, which means I am paid a percentage of the assets I manage on an annual basis. Basically, that means when you do better, I do better. If your account drops in value, so does my salary. Again, the focus is on keeping costs down wherever possible so more of your return stays with you.
If you are interested in learning more about my fees, drop me an message on the contact page and I’ll put together an estimate for your specific needs.
The truth is, investing is nothing like that, at least not if you plan is to grow your portfolio. It takes careful thinking, thoughtful research, perseverance and time, just like any other endeavor in life. As Warren Buffett observed, “No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”
I do almost all my initial meetings over the phone, or via web conferencing. It’s more efficient for both us.
If you’d like to meet with me, ask some questions and see if we are a fit, just click on the Book Appointment button below. It will take you to my appointment calendar and you can find a time to talk that works for you.