I wanted to share some details about me for those interested. I’ve found I always appreciate it when I get a chance to know a bit about the person behind the professional, so here if you are curious, here you go. For those that know me, maybe this will help you know me a bit better.
* I was born in Wisconsin, but my Dad was a fix-it executive, so we moved around like a military family. He never talked about what he was paid. He was interested in improving the lives of the people around him. That desire to make a difference was passed on to me.
* I learned to read shortly after turning 3 and I pretty much had a book in my hand from that point forward. For the next 20 or so years, if I was awake, I was reading.
* I carried that interest in learning with me to the University of Virginia, where I graduated in 1995 with an excessive number of credits.
* I got interested in the markets around 1996 and started studying investments. I had a friend that used to make fun of me for reviewing trade statements while we were watching Sunday football.
* In 2007/2008 I started getting calls from friends and family about the market. They were interested in what I knew. As it turned out, I saved two of their retirements. It was a Eureka! moment for me. I’d made a difference doing something I loved doing. I wasn’t curing cancer, but maybe I was doing the next best thing. I left my business development career. I strongly felt that investment management was the way I could use my life and talents to make a difference. (I know, cheese-ball. But there it is).
* In 2008 my wife gave us a brilliant, wonderful, gentle boy and in 2009 he was joined by a dynamo of a sister who is destined to be the Empress of the Universe. She believes she has already ascended the throne.
* I formed my own investment advisory company, ACI Wealth Advisors, after spending a couple years doing investment related work with Naples, FL based CTAs.
* Fast forward a few years to August 2014. I was very fortunate to spend some time with one of the managing partners of FPA Funds, a guy with direct oversight of around $30 billion on any given day, and the creator of the FPA Crescent Fund. He shared some important ideas with me, and his thoughts have resulted in a re-boot of my firm, which included codifying my investment methods in Process Portfolios, a set of systematic, research heavy investment portfolios designed to help protect my client’s assets (and my own) during times of highest risk and to grow them during times of opportunity.
So, that’s me.
Over the last couple years in particular, I’ve had the incredible experience of having people that don’t really know me going out of their way to help me accomplish the things I’ve been working towards, without any expectation of payment or reciprocation. This blog and some of other things I’m working on are intended to help impact others in a similar way. I’m trying to pay it forward.
Talk to you soon,